Print page print this page

Charles Ackers Redwood Grove and Naylor Pinetum

 

Video credit: Royal Forestry Society 2013

 

Visiting the Leighton Redwoods?

Information for visitors to Leighton

The history and management of the Charles Ackers Redwood Grove and the Naylor Pinetum

 

The forest at Leighton contains one of the most famous and historically significant stands of trees in the UK. The cathedral-like stand of towering coast redwoods was planted in 1857 and still stands today, unthinned and healthy.

Charles Ackers purchased the site in 1931 and was so impressed by the redwoods that he planted more. He then generously gifted the woods to the RFS in 1958 under the agreement that the Old Grove would be protected. The work at Leighton now focuses on maintaining the redwoods and the neighbouring Naylor Pinetum. Started in 1961, the Pinetum contains over 100 specimens and many wild-flowers. Although the Old Grove remains unthinned, some minor work takes place in other parts of the wood to bring in funding for the maintenance of the woods and ensure the trees grow healthily.

There is also a chalet made from locally grown timber, and winner of the prestigious Timber Trades Award for the best use of softwoods out-of-doors nationwide in 2002.

The Charles Ackers Redwood Grove and the Naylor Pinetum are private woodland owned by the RFS. Access to the site is by prior arrangement to preserve these rare and beautiful trees. Members can contact us to arrange visits.  Arrangements can be made to show non-members and special interest groups around, depending on the availability of our warden/volunteers. Public parking is not available. To arrange a visit please contact us. 

 

 Rfs Leighton Coast Redwoods Comp