Charles Ackers Redwood Grove and Naylor Pinetum
The forest at Leighton contains one of the most famous and historically significant stands of trees in the UK. The original cathedral-like stand of towering coast redwoods was planted in 1857 and still stands today, unthinned and healthy.
The original Old Grove planted in 1857 by the rural innovator John Naylor contains some of the oldest coast redwoods in the UK.
In 1931, the respected forester Charles Ackers bought the wood and planted the surrounding 1934 coast redwood plantation. He then generously gifted the woods to the RFS in 1958 under the agreement that the Old Grove would be protected. The work at Leighton now focuses on maintaining the redwoods and the neighbouring Naylor Pinetum. Started in 1961, the Pinetum contains over 100 specimens and many wild-flowers. Although the Old Grove remains unthinned, some minor work takes place in other parts of the wood for the maintenance and to ensure the trees grow healthily.
There is also a chalet made from locally grown timber, and winner of the prestigious Timber Trades Award for the best use of softwoods out-of-doors nationwide in 2002.
Leighton Redwoods Today
Unfortunately Leighton is no longer open to the public due to serious damage that was being caused by anti-social behaviour. Access is still available for local residents by arrangement and RFS members only. Please do not park in the surrounding villages.
Members can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for access. If you’re not a member but would like to help us protect this special place please Join Us!