About the Job
Moreton Wood is a beautiful 40 acre woodland being managed by Paul and Jo with the following aims:
- Restoration and conservation to semi natural woodland with diverse habitats for wild flowers, insects, birds and small mammals.
- Reestablishing coppice rotation
- Developing a traditional woodland based business
The trainee assistant woodland manager will have the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of the management and operations work. They will therefore be able to take on a wide variety of tasks as work changes in accordance with the seasons, including:
- Planning and preparing the felling operation
- Felling small to medium trees with a chainsaw
- Presenting timber for horse extraction
- Horse logging
- Timber stacking
- Assessing timber for suitability for milling
- Using the mill
- Tree planting and weeding.
- Ride and glade management
- Surveying for wildflowers, natural regeneration, deadwood etc following coppicing.
- Coppice crafts
- Charcoal making in a ring kiln
- Carrying out risk assessments
Training will be given in all tasks. The trainee will be responsible for complying with the health and safety requirements of the role.
Moreton Wood is in a small village not on a bus route so driving licence or bicycle and a willingness to travel in all weathers would be an advantage.
Terms & Conditions
- Holidays: 20 days per annum + bank holidays.
- Term: 1 year fixed term contract with a one month probationary period.
- Up to 20 days paid release to attend fully funded CPD training.
- The position is subject to satisfactory references, evidence of the right to work and live in the UK, other pre-employment checks as required and a contract of employment.
- There is access to a £300 relocation grant available upon request from RFS.