About the Job
Broadleaf Wales (www.broadleaf.wales) invites applications from young adults with proven interest in forestry for a 1-year salaried post as Forestry Practitioner. This will involve working alongside the owner-managers of Bron Haul farm as they convert 20 hectares of young plantation to productive and biodiverse continuous cover woodland.
During your year with us you will
- be helped to make operational decisions balancing the multiple benefits provided by an intimate mix, multi-species woodland being managed under continuous cover forestry.
- use hand tools and chainsaws to thin and prune 10 and 30 year old woodland.
- be actively involved in grey squirrel control.
- be expected to develop an independent interest that will develop skills suitable to your future career path. This self-led project will inform how you spend your training budget.
- write short blogs for our website.
- be involved in boundary maintenance, possibly including fencing, gates, hedge laying and planting.
- use timber from Bron Haul woodland to build a simple timber frame.
- be guided to work safely as part of a team that shares best practice and near miss incidents.
- have opportunities to engage with the wider woodland-based community on whatever projects our neighbours undertake during the year.
You will have
- A proven interest in forestry/sustainable land management
- Self-motivation and focus in achieving your goals
- Resilience working on difficult terrain and in poor weather conditions
- Willingness to work both alone and as part of a team
- A Level 2 certificate in a land management related subject
- An accredited chainsaw certificate covering maintenance, cross-cutting and felling small trees
- Competency identifying native broadleaf species and common woodland flora
We are near-fluent Welsh learners and can offer the placement working through the medium of Welsh.
We strongly encourage applications from young women.
Terms & Conditions
- Holidays: 20 days per annum + bank holidays.
- Term: 1 year fixed term contract with a one month probationary period.
- Up to 20 days paid release to attend fully funded CPD training.
- The position is subject to satisfactory references, evidence of the right to work and live in the UK, other pre-employment checks as required and a contract of employment.
- There is access to a £300 relocation grant available upon request from RFS.