About the Job
Woodsperson - Cornwall
The Woodsperson role is varied and covers all aspects of woodland operations from planting, maintenance and establishment, to thinning and small-scale harvesting, in predominantly broadleaf woodland.
- Assist in the implementation of the Estate’s woodland policy and plan.
- Undertake planting and plantation maintenance programme, thinning and felling operations.
- Carry out firewood and wood chip production, including deliveries if required.
- Operate the sawmill (dependant on training).
- Carry out general maintenance and replacement of woods boundary fences as and when required.
- Liaise with other members of the Estate’s workforce and contractors.
- Operate in accordance with Health & Safety at Work legislation and within Estate procedures (Woods Handbook).
- Maintain all machinery, equipment, PPE and workwear, in good condition and report all faults to the Forestry & Woodland Manager.
- Any other reasonable request.
Skills / Competencies
- CS 30/31 Maintenance, Cross-Cutting and Felling Certificate.
- First Aid Certificate.
- Ability to demonstrate a wide range of silvicultural (the growing and cultivation of trees) skills and knowledge.
- Willing to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Ability to be hands-on in a physically demanding role.
- A positive attitude and willingness to learn and adapt.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Good communication skills, professional attitude, polite and good levels of personal presentation.
- Full UK driving licence and own transport.
Terms and conditions
Term: 1 year fixed term contract with a one month probationary period.
Up to 20 days paid release to attend fully funded CPD training.
Regular progress reviews with the RFS and employer.
The position is subject to satisfactory references, evidence of the right to work and live in the UK, other pre-employment checks as required and a contract of employment.
There is access to a £300 relocation grant available upon request from RFS.
Shared accommodation is available to rent for employees.