Hours of work
SQA are looking to recruit one or more new External Verifiers for Forestry.
An External Verifier is responsible for external verification and qualification approval activities under the conditions, timescales and arrangements set by SQA.
The prime role is to participate in verification of qualifications in the subject area(s) concerned to ensure that standards are maintained.
Outline of duties
- Participate in central verification events, carry out external verification visits and/or participate in postal verification visits as required
- Participate in prior verification of centres’ internally devised instruments of assessment
- Participate in approval, post approval and development visits to centres
- Assist Internal Assessment Delivery and Quality Assurance staff with policy and subject specific enquiries from centres and SQA officers
- Deliver and participate in external verifier training events
- Submit CPDR within agreed timescales where appropriate
- Submit a current Personal Development Plan (PDP) within the agreed timescales where appropriate
- Additionally, External Verifiers may be asked to undertake the following activities. These activities will attract additional payments
- Act as a Vetter for internal assessment materials in the subject area concerned
- Participate in SQA organised events where External Verifier input is required
- Contribute to the Understanding Standards activities
Successful candidates must:
- Be a current practitioner and have up-to-date verifiable subject knowledge.
- Be currently assessing and/or verifying assessments across the range of courses, levels, qualification types, and the areas for which they are appointed.
- Be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and be able to engage positively with all members of their team
- Be able to communicate confidently, effectively and professionally with their Senior Verifier, Head of Centre and /or SQA Co-ordinator and SQA staff both orally (at briefings and meetings) and in writing (reports)
- Be able to work co-operatively and professionally with other centre staff and SQA staff
- Be able to demonstrate excellent organisational and administrative skills with and provide an attention to detail
- Have an in-depth understanding of all documentation, duties, tasks and procedures associated with the verification area for which they have responsibility
- Have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
Successful candidates should:
- Have achieved relevant External Verifier award for SVQ or HN or be working towards it.
Key Performance Measures for External Verifiers
Each year on completion of the duties outlined in the External Verifier contract specification, the External Verifier will be measured against the following key performance measures and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance in that year.
- Demonstrate an up to date and sound knowledge of the occupational standards and qualifications/courses/units and make sound judgements about the quality of assessment and the assessment process.
- Undertake required training to demonstrate current understanding of SQAs QA policies and processes that are relevant to the QA activity.
- Complete scheduled allocation of QA activity within conditions and timescales for SQA.
- Complete QA reports as per SQA quality standards and within agreed timescales.
- Engage with all members of the team, SQA centre’s personnel and with all members of SQA staff displaying SQAs corporate values.
- Submit a current Personal Development Plan (PDP) and CPD record within agreed timescales where appropriate.
Although the criteria seem a bit extensive, if it is a role that would be of interest but you don’t meet all the criteria, please do still get in touch as it’s mainly the technical knowledge that’s being sought at the moment. Rest assured, all EV’s go through training to support them in the role!
The main contact is Margaret Hamilton.