Randle Travel Bursary

Through the generosity of the Trustees of the Donald Randle Trust, this bursary supports members to travel overseas to enhance their forestry knowledge.

Applications for 2024 travel have now closed.


Applicants must either be a individual or student member of the RFS or work for an a RFS corporate member.

The Randle Travel Fund bursary will provide up to £1200 to cover part or all of the subsistence and travel costs when taking part in either of the following:

  • RFS Overseas Study Tours.
  • Individual trips abroad organised specifically to enhance your forestry knowledge.

It is a condition of the Randle Travel Bursary Fund that each recipient must submit a written report (1500-2000 words) to RFS within three months of completion of the project. The report will be considered for publication in the Quarterly Journal of Forestry.

90% of the payment will be made in advance. The remaining 10% will be paid on receipt of the written report.

Projects should be completed within 12 months of a bursary being awarded. Applicants are encouraged to consider lower carbon forms of transport when planning their travel.

All applications will be treated with strictest confidence. A committee will be appointed by RFS to review all applications. No other information will be used to assess each application. Successful bursary recipients will be notified after the closing date.

Tom Andre

RFS Randle Travel Bursary Recipient 2024

Tom will be heading out to Slovenia, one of the most forested countries in Europe, on our RFS study tour to learn about all aspects of Slovenian forestry and silvicultural practice.