An Introduction to Soil Identification for Foresters
Tutor: Dr Andy Moffat, Research Fellow at Forest Research - A return of the popular course, an introduction to forest soils, which combines classroom theory and outdoor practical sessions.
The course consists of a mix of classroom theory sessions and outdoor practical sessions at nearby Alice Holt Research Station. The course will enable delegates to:
- Understand the importance of soil recognition in forest management
- Understand how to use published geological and soil information to help in soil type identification
- Learn how to approach soil investigation in the forest or field, and gain some practical experience in doing so
- Understand the principles behind the Forestry Commission Ecological Site Classification (ESC) System, and how to input appropriate data into it
- Understand how to predict tree species suitability using ESC, taking climate change into account.
This course is limited to a maximum of 16 delegates to ensure that everyone can contribute and have their individual questions answered.
Included in the price is a copy of the Forestry Commission Field Guide entitled ‘The identification of soils for forest management’. Tea, coffee and water will be provided but please bring a packed lunch as lunch is not provided. Bring outdoor clothing and suitable footwear for the outdoor sessions.
Price: £140 RFS members / £170 Non-member
Dr Andy Moffat
Research Fellow, Forest Research
Andy Moffat is both a Fellow of the British Society of Soil Science and a Member of the Institute of Chartered Foresters, and holds a degree in Geography and Soil Science. He started his career as a Soil Surveyor for the Soil Survey of England and Wales before taking up a position as Soil Scientist at the Forestry Commission Alice Holt Research Station. He was the author of the first Forestry Commission Soil Guidelines, and has written many other books, papers and articles about forest soils. He recently helped to assess FC publications for their suitability to underpin the most recent UKFS Soil Guidelines. Andy has run a successful course on ‘Soils for Arboriculturists’ for the Arboricultural Association since 2016 and others for ICF, FFF and NRW.