RFS - Cert Forestry (Level 2)
RFS - Certificate in Forestry (Level 2)
For more than 40 years the Royal Forestry Society’s Certificate in Arboriculture has set the standard for craftsman-level arborists. To complement this existing qualification the RFS, in partnership with ABC awards, has launched a Forestry route at Level 2. This new qualification provides those who would like to focus their studies on forestry with that opportunity. The RFS Certificates are widely recognised throughout the forestry & arboricultural industry as proof that the holder has a good theoretical knowledge and is proficient in the practical skills needed to succeed.
The theoretical and the practical components of the Certificate are studied separately and a number of local and land-based education centres provide training.
To gain the full RFS Certificate candidates need the following:
- (a) The ABC Level 2 Certificate in Forestry, to provide the necessary theoretical background is in the fundamental elements of forestry.
- (b) A suite of 8 competence qualifications. Some are compulsory to meet health and safety requirements. Full details are here.
The theoretical components of the Certificate are covered in the ABC Level 2 ABC Certificate of Forestry. The subjects covered as part of this qualification are listed as 'units', below.
Learners must achieve all of the mandatory units and one of the optional units to complete their certificate.
- Principles of woodlands, forestry and ecology
- The supply, planting and aftercare of woody plants
- Woody plant physiology
- The interaction of soil environments and woody plants
- Tree inspections and statute and common law applied to trees
- Identify and select forestry and woodland trees for planting
- Principles of practical silviculture and habitat management
Full details and requirements for submitting complete applications can be found here.
Approved Training Centres
The ABC Level 2 Certificate in Forestry can be completed at any of the approved centres listed below, or other land-based colleges offering ABC Awards qualifications:
- The Arb Academy
- Tel: 01626 832374
- Address: Supertech, Unit 4 Amy House, Cavalier Road, Heathfield, Newton Abbot, Devon, TQ12 6TQ
- Website: www.thearbacademy.co.uk
- Horticultural Correspondence College
- Tel: 01353688510
- Method: Distance Learning Provider
- The Training Tree
- Tel: 01252 850096
- email: email@example.com
- Method: Centre based
- Location: Surrey
(b) Practical Competence Qualifications
The practical competence tests are provided by NPTC and LANTRA. Full details of the tests are available click here.
Please note that Lantra Awards do not currently offer the full range of courses required. Please check the course codes carefully before undertaking your training and ensure the course you are completing is a Certificate of Competence. Details of the approved training centres where you can undertake Certificates of Competence can be found at the following links NPTC or LANTRA.
RFS Certificate - Application Procedure
Full details are available here.