Print page print this page

History

 

The RFS was founded in 1882 by John Robson, a nurseryman and Henry Clark, a forester. They organised a meeting of local foresters, land owners and land agents in John Robson’s home in Hexham, Northumberland on 10 January 1882 where it was agreed to establish a national society to be called the English Arboricultural Society.

Key dates in the history of the RFS are:

 

1882

The English Arboricultrual Society founded at Hexham. First AGM at Newcastle. The Early of Durham elected as the first President

1897

First forestry examinations held

1905

Royal Charter granted by His Majesty King Edward VII.

Renamed the Royal English Arboricultural Society

1905

The Society establishes an arboretum at Tubney, near Oxford

1907

The first edition of the Quarterly Journal of Forestry published

1931

Renamed The Royal English Forestry Society

1957

Charles Ackers gifts the Redwood Grove at Leighton, Powys to the Society

1961

First awards for Gold Medal for Distinguished Services to Forestry

1962

Renamed the Royal Forestry Society of England, Wales and Northern Ireland

1969

The Society’s headquarters moved from London to Tring, Hertfordshire

1973

Long Service Medal for foresters and woodsmen instituted

1982

The Society’s 100th anniversary. HRH the Prince of Wales is President

1986

Hockeridge and Pancake Wood in the Chilterns gifted to the Society by Miss Mary Wellesley

1998

Battram Wood in the National Forest created on 48 ha of agricultural land purchased by the Society

2012

The Society’s headquarters moved to Upton, near Banbury.

 

 

A list of Past Presidents can be found in resources menu on the right-hand side of this page.

 

Resources
Attachment    (click to download)
Get in touch
Tel:01295 678588
Fax:01295 670798